Alternator agitation - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Magnum Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Magnum Electrical Problems and Questions

Notices

Old 08-06-2016, 10:47 PM

wargoul is on a distinguished road
Angry Alternator agitation

Ok. So I fixed a previous electrical issue with it, alternator, but now I have to replace it AGAIN. It's under waranty, but if any of you have replaced one, you probably know a few curse words I would like to know. So my question is this, reman/factory defect/act of God asside, is there anything that would cause them to fail in less than 4 months. Grounds under the hood, trunk, and no rust on any connections.
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Quick update, ild alternator was shot, wouldn't even bench test. Put the new on on, no issues. Then after about 10 minutes of driving or so, alternator light comes on the dash. Am I missing something?
Old 08-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Administrator

jkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nice

Don't have a clue, electrical problems are tough to diagnose sometimes.
Check in
Here!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly16 View Post
Don't have a clue, electrical problems are tough to diagnose sometimes.
A bit further background, the original just died. No ifs ands or buts, it was like a bearing salt shaker with all the stuff coming out. I'm guessing a brush or something flew out of the new one because of sever grinding. The new one benched perfect. So im inclined to think it's ok. However, all the research I've put into it, most claiming gremlins, and a few ASE gangstas and shade tree guys are pointing to the pcm? in the ecm. My equipment isn't really up to snuff poking the problem out. I'm hoping it's a ground or something i bumped. I highly doubt a plug change I just did would bring about this bs. But if it is in the pcm/etc...that's another 500 bones, and the wife gets my truck and im stuck in Warmachine for a few days. No biggie, but the 1500 has me spoiled. Ultimately, I want hers to just work. She loves it, and I like driving it. Always had a soft spot for a station wagon.

Last edited by wargoul; 08-08-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:44 PM

Side note, we plan to keep it as stock as possible. No SC or TC, nothing like that. Maybe breath a little bit better, crank some extra ponies and bump up the mpg. We're a simple folk :-P
Old 08-12-2016, 04:09 PM

Ok, it's officially fixed. You'll love this one. So at some point between changing the sparkplugs and the alternator dying, something killed the egr valve which decided to piss the alternator off again. Folks, at this point I have just stopped asking questions. I have dealt with some stupid, stupid, stupid things. But this takes the cake. Thanks for all the help
Advertisement