ECM reboot... - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Magnum Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Magnum Electrical Problems and Questions

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 AM

jpeteyjr is on a distinguished road
Arrow ECM reboot...

Does anybody know of a service that will "clean" an ECM & reset it to original parameters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 01:32 AM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Reset adaptives or reflash the PCM?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Arrow Adaptives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
Reset adaptives or reflash the PCM?
...don't know what adaptives are.
I'm hoping to have the ECM reset to original settings so my $200 RKE will lock & unlock the damn car & the AM/FM reception will return.
Perhaps I'm hoping for entirely too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeteyjr View Post
...don't know what adaptives are.
I'm hoping to have the ECM reset to original settings so my $200 RKE will lock & unlock the damn car & the AM/FM reception will return.
Perhaps I'm hoping for entirely too much.

The PCM's & TCM's adapt (hence adaptives) to your driving style, keep the data in RAM. These can be cleared/reset. The PCM doesn't deviate from it's programming unless you retune it. It sounds like you're having a different issue and you think reflashing the PCM will solve it. It won't, since the PCM has f@ck all to do with the RKE and the radio lol. You would have to mess with the central gateway (FCM). I assume you never took it to a dealer, any dealer or shop with capable enough software to maybe diagnose what's going on instead of asking for a bunch of internet opinions lol?
Old 12-14-2018, 02:50 PM

The two independent shops that have attempted to program the RKE have both run into the same roadblock..."communication failure".
As for the reduction in AM/FM reception, both of them are at a loss for an explanation.
The radio reception was excellent before the replacement RKE was programmed the first time around. The RKE worked as designed for about 2 weeks. Then, it abruptly ceased to lock/unlock the car.
My line of thinking (I could be wrong, I've been wrong before) is that the PCM (ECM ?) is loosing memory. I'm old & this car has more "tech" than any car I've previously owned
Old 12-16-2018, 12:08 AM

PCM has nothing to do with RKE (what would engine control have to do with remote entry lol?). What are the exact codes (there are several comm failure codes)? More than likely something is going on with your FCM, damn near everything else in the vehicle routes through that. I'm curious myself, if you were closer I'd ask you to stop by so I could throw my Starscan on it and see what it says.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:45 PM

I wish It was closer from here to there, too.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my questions.
Please tell me more about this Starscan thingie. I'm thinking maybe I should have one of my very own.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Starscan was the dealership computer used when Mopar introduced CAN bus vehicles in 2005. It was later replaced by Starmobile, then Witech. Used for diagnostics, options configuring (to a point) and flashing modules, though this feature isn't supported anymore for Starscan.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:50 PM

Magnasport is on a distinguished road

Its unlikely radio reception problem is due to the ECM or the signal amplifier in the hatch. Try this as a test, tune in a usually strong station, then open the hatch all the way, move it up and down little to see if the signal improves or changes if it does then the problem is the coax antenna conductor is broken inside the insulation, impossible to see. The break is where the cable passes through the roof to the hatch near the hinge point, all the opening and closing snapped the conductor inside. Coax was never meant to be constantly moved or bent.
The fix is about a foot or so of regular coax cable that you probably have laying around from an old TV hook up and a couple of connectors available at most stores with a hardware section.
Remove the hatch panels' and the one at the roofs edge cut out the old wire where it passes through and splice in the new. It took me less then an hour and works like new. Several others have had this problem and this fixed it. good luck
Advertisement