05 R/T disaster- where do I start?? - Page 2 - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Magnum Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Magnum Mechanical Problems and Questions

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 10:13 PM

TV MAN is on a distinguished road

I think you have a point about just replacing the harness. It would probably be money well spent. I have to get into it to find out just what that ground comes from. I don't know if there is a major connector under the dash that separates the engine harness from the dash harness or if it is one whole unit. If there are plugs, they could be damaged by that burnt wire also. I purchased and downloaded a PDF factory service manual, but don't make much sense of the diagrams. Wish I could get a paper version, but that was quite a bit more money. I am still studying it, but I don't think it is going to show me where that ground goes. I bet I'm going to have to open the harness and follow that wire. This is gonna be interesting...
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 11:48 AM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Shame you paid for one...the early manuals are all over the internet...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/k4gu0m...LX-SM.pdf/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/u1sp9k.../05lx.pdf/file
Old 01-28-2019, 10:24 PM

Thanks Hemi. I didn't know that. I didn't pay much, so no big loss. I did some more digging and have largely decided this engine wiring harness is toast! I found another burned ground on the drivers side head. This one had been caught and semi - kinda repaired, not much more than another wire twisted on and taped up. I also found a wire off the PCM clipped and ran to the cam sensor. What a mess. It's no wonder it wont run right. I need to pull it and try to follow those grounds. What in the world could have caused this? Some kind of major short for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0806.JPG (526.7 KB, 5 views)
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 07:48 PM

Magnasport is on a distinguished road
Default Magnum Bible

Hey TV Man,
I feel for you, if it will help, send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will send you the factory wire diagrams in a pdf file. They cover all LX models from 05 to 07.
Best of luck
Old 01-30-2019, 09:32 AM

Wire diagram is already in the factory service manual I linked (plus he already has it)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the offer Magnasport. I did download one. I pulled the engine wiring harness. Not too much fun. I opened it up and tracked down the burned wires. Well, I am not sure just what to make of this. That ground just crosses the harness - from one head to the other. What on earth??? What would make it burn up like that??? The ONLY thing I can think is if for some insane reason the head isn't making a good ground through the head bolts and somehow there was a tremendous load put on it. I cant really see there is anything burned through into any of the other wiring. A couple of possible places but I really doubt it. A cam sensor wire was spliced, who knows why. I am a little disappointed that I didn't find something for sure. So, now, do I replace the harness - ? I fear replacing the harness only to find the exact same problem still lurking. But on the other hand, if there was one wire bypassed, may be more? What a pain.

In the last picture, there is this box (a fuse?) connected to ground on the drivers side head. I don't know if that is suppose to be this way or not. So, if this wiring meltdown happened due to bad grounds within the engine, does that mean I need to re-ground across the engine with heavier wiring? This is from a nice salty area, so there is a lot of corrosion on things. There is only a ground from the battery running to the body, about the size of a lawnmower battery cable. The positive is about 3x the size. In my opinion, there should be a ground equal in size to the + wire going forward to the engine block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2328a.jpg (101.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2329a.jpg (87.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2330a.jpg (93.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by TV MAN; 02-02-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 PM

That last one is NOT factory, you can tell by the half assed electrical tape job; dunno what that's for. Sounds like you're missing a ground, there is one on the passenger side from the rear of the block to the passenger fender. Speedlogix used to sell a kit released by Mopar with upgraded cables in it; looks like they don't anymore but I might still have the packaging from mine and I might be able to pull a part number. Turns out it was a TSB for the 09-10 LX's. Comes with larger gauge cables for the rear ground (battery to body) and front (engine to body).
Old 07-20-2019, 03:18 AM

baseballkid09 is on a distinguished road

Are you sure your battery cables are on tight and have good connection?
Old 07-23-2019, 08:47 PM

RTaylor is on a distinguished road

Hey I have an 06 RT and have had a lot of the same issues with the car and codes, check your PCM and wiring first, that's what I did and I sprayed the connections with cleaner real good and put some di electric grease on each one, now I do not have all the issues I was having BUT I still have a minor issue with quick stall but it does not die. I read and researched that the wiring on the early 5.7s was crap, I PO I bought mine from told me it was acting up but was random, I believe the issues I had was because the car sat for around a year or so, I have put headers on it and a CAI, muffler delete and only cats and resonators now, it is really fast, I am still searching for the remaining gremlins but for what I paid for the car it was well worth it, oh and by the way the gas mileage stinks. Check all you wiring and ground points....Good Luck
Advertisement