Burning Rubber Smell - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Magnum Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Magnum Mechanical Problems and Questions

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM

jc70nova is on a distinguished road
Default Burning Rubber Smell

Hey guys need some help with my Magnum 06 2.7 110,522 miles......

Over the pass 6 mths I have noticed a burning rubber smell. Took the car to the tire place and took the guy for a test drive and he agreed it was a rubber smell. It would only happen if I were to get up on it, not flooring it but if I were to pass someone and the car jumps to about 4700-5000 rpms then back down to normal. He said he did not see any signs of wear to the tire but it could be starting out. He said he would not do it but if I were to shave down the bolt to my upper ball joint should fix it. So I did this and nope same thing, then I saw someone say a loose drive belt would cause it. I changed that same thing.

Now I'm at a dead end. Oh yes this is the funny thing you can only smell it inside the car, at times it smells like something is truly on fire and pull over jump out to see the flames and nothing. No smell under the hood no smell from any of the tires or tire wells no smoke NOTHING. But stick your head in the car and wow smells like someone just did a burnout. I also turned the air on to see if it would get worse no smell from the heat or a/c...

So can someone please HELP.
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 11:13 PM

Mrjarvisful is on a distinguished road

Are you the only one smelling it?
Old 07-14-2016, 02:37 PM

Hendogg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc70nova View Post
Hey guys need some help with my Magnum 06 2.7 110,522 miles......

Over the pass 6 mths I have noticed a burning rubber smell. Took the car to the tire place and took the guy for a test drive and he agreed it was a rubber smell. It would only happen if I were to get up on it, not flooring it but if I were to pass someone and the car jumps to about 4700-5000 rpms then back down to normal. He said he did not see any signs of wear to the tire but it could be starting out. He said he would not do it but if I were to shave down the bolt to my upper ball joint should fix it. So I did this and nope same thing, then I saw someone say a loose drive belt would cause it. I changed that same thing.

Now I'm at a dead end. Oh yes this is the funny thing you can only smell it inside the car, at times it smells like something is truly on fire and pull over jump out to see the flames and nothing. No smell under the hood no smell from any of the tires or tire wells no smoke NOTHING. But stick your head in the car and wow smells like someone just did a burnout. I also turned the air on to see if it would get worse no smell from the heat or a/c...

So can someone please HELP.

Sounds like some of the elc wires are getting hot and you are smelling the rubber coating burning off of them.. Is it stronger in the front of the car or in the back of the car? May have a bad ground and when you get on the car and it shifts the weight of the car to the back the wires move and that is when you smell it.. I would look under the dash an see if any thing looks burnt and look in the back as well where the battery is at....
Advertisement