I had told myself I was going to purchase the SXT model I have listed below, but after my newbie forum post, I am second guessing that decision. Here's my situation:
I have the ability to pay $8000.00 max for my next car (it will kill my budget but is doable), I live an appx 4 hr drive from any of the cars listed below. My daily commute is less than 1 mile each way, and I live in Northern MI... snow and slippery roads/hills are a very big factor. I'll post links/pics of my current options and what I know about them. I thought the SXT would be the best call, but you put some serious doubt into me (that's not a bad thing at all!) Please note, any magnums within a 2hr drive from my town are SE model's only.
Link: 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT - $7000
Engine / Trans
: 3.5, Auto-Stick
: Black Leather, dual power heated seats, premium stereo, moon roof
: Replaced Water Pump, tie rods, timing belt, brakes,
: Asking 7000, agreed to drive and meet half distance for $6500.00.
: Needs fog lamps, but not a huge expense, moon roof is an awesome extra, but not necessary. Having spoken with the owner, it sounds like its been very well cared for. Most miles were added on trips between MI and North Virginia. Lots of features, mid size engine, costs less leaving play money to use on mods (and a better tolerance with the Mrs lol)
Link: 2005 Dodge Magnum RT - $8000
s: 5.7 Hemi, Auto-Stick
: Black Leather, dual power heated seats, premium stereo, blue tooth head unit, dual climate control
: Firestone, owner stated needs to be replaced after another season
: Wasn't specific but was willing to scan/send me his meticulous records. Haven't requested further.
: Asking $8000, I offered $6000 cash if I were to drive down that day, declined. I offered $7000.00 to meet a week later half way. Declined, stating he believes it truly is worth his 8k asking price (not that I disagree).
: I'm not sure how much clout I have to come crawling back again. I can swing the $8k ticket, but KBB reports it valued at 7750, and its a 4hr drive, and if the 8k wasn't tight enough, I have to consider the $500 sales tax (stupid Michigan lol) Really wish it had a Moon roof, and the climate control is cool, but I could take it or leave it. But RWD really really scares me. I've not driven many RWD vehicles in the dead of winter.. but I'm not a fan of tooling around w/ sandbags over my rear axle... unless I should get over it. haha. long and short, lots of great car for the money, but leaves me very little in the budget for anything else
That's my take on it. What do you guys (the experts) think I should do? Is the $8k a "what am I waiting for, just do it!" price? Or is the awd sxt @ $6.5 better? Does awd vs rwd really have a huge effect in the winter or should i just get the R/T and suck it up w/ RWD?