AWD SXT vs RWD R/T - In Michigan - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - News Desk > Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM

Pause is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Pause Send a message via MSN to Pause
Default AWD SXT vs RWD R/T - In Michigan

I had told myself I was going to purchase the SXT model I have listed below, but after my newbie forum post, I am second guessing that decision. Here's my situation:

I have the ability to pay $8000.00 max for my next car (it will kill my budget but is doable), I live an appx 4 hr drive from any of the cars listed below. My daily commute is less than 1 mile each way, and I live in Northern MI... snow and slippery roads/hills are a very big factor. I'll post links/pics of my current options and what I know about them. I thought the SXT would be the best call, but you put some serious doubt into me (that's not a bad thing at all!) Please note, any magnums within a 2hr drive from my town are SE model's only.

Link: 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT - $7000

Model: SXT
Engine / Trans: 3.5, Auto-Stick
135000 Miles
AWD
Interior: Black Leather, dual power heated seats, premium stereo, moon roof
Tires: Fair
Maintenance: Replaced Water Pump, tie rods, timing belt, brakes,
Price: Asking 7000, agreed to drive and meet half distance for $6500.00.
Thoughts: Needs fog lamps, but not a huge expense, moon roof is an awesome extra, but not necessary. Having spoken with the owner, it sounds like its been very well cared for. Most miles were added on trips between MI and North Virginia. Lots of features, mid size engine, costs less leaving play money to use on mods (and a better tolerance with the Mrs lol)

Link: 2005 Dodge Magnum RT - $8000

Model: R/T
Engine/Trans: 5.7 Hemi, Auto-Stick
122000 Miles
RWD
Interior: Black Leather, dual power heated seats, premium stereo, blue tooth head unit, dual climate control
Tires: Firestone, owner stated needs to be replaced after another season
Maintenance: Wasn't specific but was willing to scan/send me his meticulous records. Haven't requested further.
Price: Asking $8000, I offered $6000 cash if I were to drive down that day, declined. I offered $7000.00 to meet a week later half way. Declined, stating he believes it truly is worth his 8k asking price (not that I disagree).
Thoughts: I'm not sure how much clout I have to come crawling back again. I can swing the $8k ticket, but KBB reports it valued at 7750, and its a 4hr drive, and if the 8k wasn't tight enough, I have to consider the $500 sales tax (stupid Michigan lol) Really wish it had a Moon roof, and the climate control is cool, but I could take it or leave it. But RWD really really scares me. I've not driven many RWD vehicles in the dead of winter.. but I'm not a fan of tooling around w/ sandbags over my rear axle... unless I should get over it. haha. long and short, lots of great car for the money, but leaves me very little in the budget for anything else

That's my take on it. What do you guys (the experts) think I should do? Is the $8k a "what am I waiting for, just do it!" price? Or is the awd sxt @ $6.5 better? Does awd vs rwd really have a huge effect in the winter or should i just get the R/T and suck it up w/ RWD?

Last edited by Pause; 09-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 01:54 PM

intimidator is on a distinguished road

Well, my personal opinion is mixed. I live in the Cleveland area, and can attest to the need for the AWD over the RWD. I have an 06 AWD R/T, so, kinda got that one covered.

The AWD would be the way to go for winter, but, the 3.5 is a little underpowered for the AWD.

The RWD 5.7 is awesome, but, you will def. put it sideways with a little too much throttle in the winter.

In a nutshell, if you have ONLY the two choices to consider, the AWD 3.5 would be the choice, IF, the maintenance is what it says.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:04 PM

hydrex is on a distinguished road

Crawl back and buy the RT. Snow tires are cheap, put in 150 lbs of tube sand in the back, she'll be a tank. Hell, I went last winter with high performance 20" tires and never had a problem. The only time that I ever got stuck, I drove thru snow so deep, all 4 tires came off the ground. Magnum has 50/50 weight distribution and very good traction control.
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 12:22 AM

:S

ah crap.. I drove the 8hr round trip and bought the SXT already lol You would probably know snow just as well as I. How many inches you usually get in Maine?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Last winter we had 1 storm with almost 3 feet. Couldn't drive my 4x4 Ram either. Took 2 days to dig myself out. Most winters, though it's not bad and the state and local towns do excellent job on the roads, but salt, salt salt. BTW last winter, I pulled a 4x4 Subaru out of the ditch with my rwd Magnum, 1" of snow. Idiot didn't know how to drive. Enjoy your AWD, it will be a tank.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:24 PM

I am already! and its funny, having driven a 300m and ford taurus/merc sables before this car, I've forgotten what its like to drive with a non-football field sized windshield. I love it!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:36 AM

shelbysteve426 is on a distinguished road

I have an 05 sxt awd. as far as the 3.5 being a little underpowered don't worry about it. I added the mopar performance cold air intake a ported and polished 71mm throttle body and the predator set to the 93 octane tune and those mods make a HUGE difference. it is like driving a different car with those parts added. if you get the predator change your tire size all the way down to 15 and you will see a big difference in acceleration.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:23 PM

Last fall I ended up buying the SXT. Cleaned her up and polished her.. meant to post these forever ago. I have a lot of work to do. I've seen ppl remove the rear wiper and I'm seriously thinking about doing that since i'm missing a few caps on the wiper arm. I'm also missing a handful of clips/covers on the inside (like the power seat buttons) that I will have to probably find @ a scrap yard (or any suggestions are welcome) I have a drop kit for an R/T AWD, but my buddy tells me it will work just fine. Think its a 2" drop. Would also like to swap out the headlamps and add fog lights. Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! and I saw around somewhere where someone had installed a push button start. I like to tinker with electronics, and I like to think it can't be much more difficult than installing a remote start (and maybe install that at the same time too!) And if my wife hasn't divorced me for spending all that money, I plan to mod out the cig lighters for usb ports and sneak in a rear camera somehow. Anyway, here she is!

Last edited by Pause; 02-20-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:55 PM

That's a good looking car! Congrats.
Advertisement