06 Magnum changed plugs and now won't drive - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Dodge Magnum Discussion > Dodge Magnum General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 05:18 PM

xkeots is on a distinguished road
Default 06 Magnum changed plugs and now won't drive

Hi.

I have 75k on my magnum and the gas mileage was real bad so I changed the plugs as the manual said.
Now, my anti skid light is on, the red Z light is on, the idle is going up and down and I have no power brake pedal. It is very hard to stop and will not take the gas.
Any thoughts here? I have no intake leaks but I feel it is something inside the throttle housing.

Thanks
Jack
2006 Magnum AWD
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

NOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the rough

It really could be a lot of things. Are you sure you got all the plugs wires on tight and did NOT mix any of them up, Proper gap on the plugs, check for all connections and make sure you did not bump anything loose, spark plug and coil wires seated properly?

TWO things I would try:
1. Pull fuse #11 in the fuse box under the hood for about 1 minute & replace
2. Try throttle adjustment; This is done by turning the key ON; do NOT start, push the gas pedal all the way to the firewall and let off SLOWLY.

See IF either of these help you.

15 LX FAMILY; 7 300's, 6 magnums & 2 chargers]
Old 06-15-2013, 06:02 PM

docschmo is on a distinguished road
Default Docschmo

Hi Notpaid4, Just curious what pulling #11 does?

I started by having the exact same problem on my 07 sxt 3.5l. - I changed plugs @150,000km (champion double Platinum. plus a pcv, and new plenum gasket. First time took 2.5 hours plus a good dose of Engineer cussing. Actually ran fine but then every so 5 to 10 minutes I get the misfireing and same warning lights as Xkeots. Shut it off turn it back on it is fine for another 10 minutes or so. Check engine light is one. Neighbour came over with his highend OBD2 reader but he got no codes.?!?

Tore it down again to make sure everything was tight, pulled plugs to check gaps. everything back together again and now it is really pooched. It starts but seems like 2 or 3 cylinders are misfiring. Tore it down again, pulled plugs and 3 and 5 are black and wet. I only do one cylinder at a time so there is no mix up on wires

Neighbour left for holidays this aft and I don't have axcess to a reader. Ive torn it down 4 times in less than 8 hours - Thinking about going back to original plugs and pcv.

Before I do any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 11:55 PM

408 Horse is on a distinguished road

Use stock plugs on these cars they don't like Platinum plugs!!! Y I don't know the service manager at the dealership told me if that will help.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:23 AM

NOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the rough

YUP, stock plugs are the best for these cars; changed mine on two cars and NO problems of any kind.

15 LX FAMILY; 7 300's, 6 magnums & 2 chargers]
Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 AM

Never thought that plugs would cause these kind of problems.

The plugs I bought were "stock" according to the dealers parts counter guy!!!

the plugs I pulled were NKG.

I'm putting the old plugs back in cleaned and re gapped this morning.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Just for the sake of interest, the NGK plugs I pulled out are premium platinum so I am not sure if the "doesn't like platinum" idea is true.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:30 PM

Well the "Doesn't like Platinums" theory might not be totally true but after taking the NEW CHAMPION platinums out, and after cleaning, gapping and reinstalling the old NGK platinums the car purrs like kitten.

Go figure. I wonder if this is anybody elses experience?

On the good side... I can now re and re plugs on a Magnum 3.5 in about 40 minutes !!!! On the bad side...wasted a Sat and part of a Sunday learning this skill !!!!

Thanks for your help!!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 PM

shelbysteve426 is on a distinguished road

did you make sure you put all the hoses back on the right way they came off? I would go back and double check all the black hoses that were disconnected to get the top of the manifold off and make sure they went on the right fitting
Advertisement