VIN and S/N - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Dodge Magnum Discussion > Dodge Magnum General Discussion

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 10:16 PM

MrShiverz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MrShiverz
Default VIN and S/N

I have recently purchased an 05 Magnum RT with 54k miles. I learned weeks later that the engine may not be original and have over 112k miles. I learned Chrysler doesn't put the VIN on motors but instead, serial numbers. I contacted Chrysler to verify whether my vehicle VIN was married to the serial number on my engine at Chrysler's assembly line. They say they have no way of knowing. WHAT? Does anyone have any idea if this is true or am I getting the runaround?
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Absolutely correct. Specific engines/car components are no longer tied to a specific VIN that way anymore. If memory serves, that particular serial number is usually on the valve cover sticker; even if they could, there's no way of knowing whether the original VC's were put on another engine or not. If you paid what most people want for an 05 with that many miles then you got screwed or might wanna seek some recourse (if you can prove it otherwise). Good luck.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:50 PM

MrShiverz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MrShiverz

Thank you for your input. I find it baffling that they removed VIN from engines. So now anyone can fraud another with high mileage engine inside a low mileage vehicle. Sad.
Advertisement