Trunk release glitch - Page 2 - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Magnum Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Magnum Electrical Problems and Questions

Notices

Old 10-31-2018, 10:04 AM

crusade is on a distinguished road

I tried that as well. I put a screwdriver in the locking mechanism and pulled, but the release worked just fine when I opened with the handle.

I cleaned and lubricated the mechanism and it seems to work...for now. Strange. Lets se if it still does in an few days.
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 05:52 PM

Incrediwagon is on a distinguished road

How is the latch so far? Mine is still intermittent.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:10 AM

Just as mine. Dont you just hate when you think you solved a problem and move on...but you realize you didnt solve anything.

I cleaned and lubricated the locking mechanism and that seemed to solve the problem, for a while. When it starts to problemize (is that a word? It should be...) again the problem is temporarily solved with another spray of 5.56.

I do not understand this problem at all.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Administrator

jkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nice

Still seems go me it could be the solenoid. Electrical coils can be intermittent but I don't know if I'd spend the money unless it got really bad.
Check in
Here!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Old 11-07-2018, 09:20 AM

"Solenoid" is a little greek to me...do you know where it is located? Is it in the electric motor in the locking mechanism? It doesnt sound like a too expensive part to swap out...?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 AM
Administrator

jkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nice

Yeah, the solenoid is the electrical part. Basically it has to be a small electro-magnet that pushes/pull the latch mechanism. Knowing Ma Mopar you have to buy the whole latch assembly to get one.
Check in
Here!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Old 11-10-2018, 11:42 PM

Lucky is on a distinguished road

I would venture to say I DO know your problem. Yes, you really need to tug on that tailgate cover for it to POP off. With that panel off, you'll be able to see the back side of the switch. Unplug the 2 wire switch and with having done that, cross the 2 prongs in the plug coming from the front of the car. You OUGHT to hear the tail gate latching or rather, unlatching. THAT means all's well from the power source. THAT means a faulty switch weather it be dirty and/or worn out OR, as I JUST found on my Mag, a VERY small resister had a broken connect once I used my glasses. To remove the switch you'll notice 4 tabs on the back side of it as you're inside the cargo area looking at it. They need to be pushed in and out in order to remove the switch. Flip the switch over and with a SMALL screw driver, carefully remove the plastic, hinged, cover. SLOWLY do this as there's a spring inside that you DON'T want to go mia. You'll see that VERY small resister that should be visible, maybe use a magnifying glass, to see if yours might have a break on one side or the other. Like I said, mine was broke so I just soldered a wire around the resister and reassembled it. Before remounting, plug it back into it's source and press the switch. I JUST finished fixing mine yesterday.
HOPE this works. It's not an intimidating job. Good luck
Old 11-19-2018, 04:20 PM

Sorry for the long delay, I had a problem with the keyboard on my computer and couldnt reply.

That sounds interesting and seems to be the same problem that I have. But its quite difficult to understand exactly what and were you mean. Is it possible to post some pictures of what you mean?
Old 11-19-2018, 07:40 PM

Lucky is on a distinguished road

Just so we're on the same page, we're talking about a Magnum rear cargo door?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:37 AM

Yes, that is correct.
Advertisement