Hello fellow Magnum lovers. - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - News Desk > New Member Introductions

Notices

Old 11-10-2019, 01:56 AM

Rockett73 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello fellow Magnum lovers.

I just purchased a 2005 R/T and was wondering do they all have MDS or was it optional on the 05 model, also how do I tell if it does. Was also wondering what if anything I should be looking for to replace before it breaks. The car has 129500 on the odometer. Already did a set of struts up front trying to eliminate a knocking sound when hitting moderate bumps. As well as the thermostat and temp sensor and rad. fans when they crapped out day 2. Thank you in advance for any advise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190930_173530_1573365343844.jpg (553.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191109_140055_1573365359683.jpg (682.1 KB, 4 views)
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Administrator

jkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nice

Welcome to the Z from NC! Glad you joined, enjoy the site!
Check in
Here!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Old 11-14-2019, 08:22 PM

HawaiiMagnum is on a distinguished road

All the R/T's have MDS. I'm pretty sure the SRT-8"s do not have MDS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 PM

plumbersnitemare is on a distinguished road

Rockett73 the knocking noise is probably upper ball joints A arms are cheap and relatively easy to change
Old 11-16-2019, 11:55 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockett73 View Post
I just purchased a 2005 R/T and was wondering do they all have MDS or was it optional on the 05 model, also how do I tell if it does. Was also wondering what if anything I should be looking for to replace before it breaks. The car has 129500 on the odometer. Already did a set of struts up front trying to eliminate a knocking sound when hitting moderate bumps. As well as the thermostat and temp sensor and rad. fans when they crapped out day 2. Thank you in advance for any advise.

All automatic R/T's come with MDS. It can be turned off via tuning. You have an 05 with well over 100k miles. Previous owner probably sold it hoping to avoid higher mileage woes lol. Two most common culprits are tension struts and ball joints. You didn't say if you meant tension struts or the spring/shock combo. Considering some of the substandard material that went into our front ends early on, good chance a front end rebuild is in your future. A cooler thermostat is a good idea on these first gen LX cars because all it takes one good serious overheat and you increase the likelihood of a valve seat dropping; caveat though, no point in installing a cooler stat until you have the means to lower the setting on the cooling fans.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:50 PM

moparleo is on a distinguished road
Default valve seats

Just an FYI, Overheating is not a prerequisite for dropped valve seats. I researched different forums for years about the valve seat issue after purchasing a low mileage R/T. I read that it happened most often after the car had been parked and not when driving. Probably a heat sink issue with aluminum heads and steel valve seats not fit tight enough in the heads. I was in the process of shopping for replacement heads that had been upgraded in the seat area so I could avoid any other possible engine damage but I didn't do it fast enough. At 84K miles I had gone to a DR appt just a few miles from my home. October, mid 70's temp. After about 30 minutes after parking I went to the parking lot to go home. Started engine and immediately heard the loud sound of " a metal coffee can full of nuts and bolts " After a tow home I removed the spark plugs to check compression. @ cylinders had the spark plug electrodes mashed shut. No high rpms, no high temperature. Happened while starting engine. In the majority of the cases the cars had not overheated or had a temperature issue at all. Just be prepared for it on any early 5.7 car engine. Since the failure had caused engine block and piston damage a complete engine change as required. I has updated heads, updated oil pump, updated timing chain/gar/tensioner installed. 5w20 Mobil 1 on the original and replacement engine exclusively. Be prepared and start shopping for the heads and/or engine replacement. Fortunately these engines are very popular and plentiful keeping their cost relatively low.
Advertisement