MagnaFlow with R/T cylinder redundancy issues..? - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Custom Dodge Magnum Performance and Mods Zone - Custom Dodge Magnum Mods! > Dodge Magnum Performance Mods Engine - R/T > R/T Exhaust

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 02:05 AM

DafTekno is on a distinguished road
Default MagnaFlow with R/T cylinder redundancy issues..?

Dear Magnum People,

I have just bought a 2005 R/T and want to make it sound a bit nicer.
Local performance stores have suggested fitting a MagnaFlow CAT back system.

However, a High Performance tuner pointed out that, as my R/T uses cylinder redundancy when cruising to achieve better fuel economy, it will produce a nasty resonant booming under these circumstances. In fact, he said he'd had to remove several systems from Magnums after only a few days as the noise was so unbearable!

I was wondering if any of you guys knew if this was true, or could give me an idea of how my Magnum will sound whilst cruising in 4-cylinder mode with a MagnaFlow system.

A posting on the MagnaFlow website seems to say that all would be well.
Indeed, that guy got in touch and said he never found there to be any nasty resonances during cruising.

I'm just a little cautious about spending over C$1000 on something that might make the car hard to stand when driving long distances.

If there's a better CAT back system out there that gives a good, beefy sound as well as freeing up a bit of power / torque / fuel economy, please let me know!

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Thank you.
Regards,
Dave
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator

jkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nice

First off, welcome! You will get drone when the MDS kicks in if you don't get a system that's tuned for it. Corsa is one that you should be able to use. The other option is to purchase a Predator programmer and turn the MDS off, then it's hitting on all 8 all the time.
Check in
Here!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

Igolo has a spectacular aura aboutIgolo has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the mag club and welcome to the site!!
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM

NOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from a FOUR MAGNUM family in North Carolina. I have flowmaster 40's, Blastin Bobs pipes, DMH electric cutouts and no resos. YES, I get drone but it doesn't bother me. I love the aggressive sound. This is on my 05 R/T. If you use any system that IS resonated on the back, you should be OK.

15 LX FAMILY; 7 300's, 6 magnums & 2 chargers]

Last edited by NOTPAID4; 01-28-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 AM

DafTekno is on a distinguished road
Default Predator Programmer

Hi Joe, and thank you for welcoming me!

Where can I get a Predator Programmer from?
How much are they?
What else may I alter using it?

MagnaFlow replied saying that any system that was tuned for good sound in 4 cylinder mode will NOT be tuned to sound good in 8cylinder mode..!

Corsa is about 1.5 times the cost of a MagnaFlow.
What system would you, or anyone else, recommend?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-29-2011, 09:33 AM

MadDad is on a distinguished road

The Magnaflow system is inexpensive and a lot of folks have them, many people have fiddled with their systems to eliminate drones as well. I run the Bassani system (resonated tip system) with no noticable drone, it is similar to the Corsa/Borla system but a little less cost. My recommendation would be not to buy ANY system until you have heard it in person on a vehicle comparable to your own.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Administrator

jkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DafTekno View Post
Hi Joe, and thank you for welcoming me!

Where can I get a Predator Programmer from?
How much are they?
What else may I alter using it?

MagnaFlow replied saying that any system that was tuned for good sound in 4 cylinder mode will NOT be tuned to sound good in 8cylinder mode..!

Corsa is about 1.5 times the cost of a MagnaFlow.
What system would you, or anyone else, recommend?

Thanks,
Dave
One of the vendors here, 213 Auto Parts carry the Predator. Here is a link to Diablo's website so you can see what all they do.

http://diablosport.com/index.php?mod...=display&pid=3

Unfortunately to get a good tuned exhaust system costs an arm and a leg. Like the others said, best to hear on another's car prior to purchase. It is possible to mix & match to keep the drone down but I would not want to be the guinea pig myself.
Check in
Here!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:04 AM

Beerent is on a distinguished road

Daftekno, if you want a good exhaust sound but do not want the drone than take a look at deleting the big suitcase muffler in the middle of the car and keeping the stock resonators on the end of the car. The muffler guy I went to cut out the resonators only and I have the drone from hell with Flowmaster super 40's. Go to a local exhaust shop and get a dual in dual out magnaflow muffler. I had one on my silverado, it sounded good but at cruise there was no drone that a flowmaster offers.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Toddio is on a distinguished road
Default Magnaflow cat back on 2006 R/T

I have the magnaflow cat back on my 06 R/T. There is a drone, but it is not as bad as some make it out to be. Believe me, when you put the hammer down the magnaflows will speak up! And they are not obnoxious when you are at idle or under a smooth acceloration. Overall I am very happy with the magnaflows. Will try them on futhre cars...except for my next mustang...flowmasters sound soo good on those fords!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 AM

louieg is on a distinguished road

i'am looking for exhaust my stuff
note: i had a lexus gs b4 my magnum and i had a cold air intake and exhuast i had borla it sounded real nice
and i'am doing some reading up on magnums
and iam watching videos on youtube for the price of the exhaust i like jbp exhaust
Advertisement