Question about hauling things - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - News Desk > Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum

Notices

Old 11-14-2015, 08:55 PM

Lebanza is on a distinguished road
Default Question about hauling things

Hello everyone. My father is looking into getting a car and has been leaning towards a Ford Five Hundred (yuk) but I've been trying to point him towards looking at a Magnum, but I have a few questions about them, mostly about hauling things in them as I can't seem to find much about that.

He often stops at garage sales and stores and such and buys things, a lot of books and records and such that can add up over a trip. Then you add in up to 3 other people (we aren't terribly small either ) depending on whether anyone goes with him. Obviously the space in the back will be useful, but with his previous Cadillac STS and Chrysler New Yorker, both would squat a bit in the back (more with the Chrysler) if he had "good luck" at shops and garage sales.

We live in Oregon, and a bit out towards the country, so when loaded up with stuff it made pulling into some places a little tricky/risky, and looked a bit silly.

1: Does anyone use theirs for moving more than just people? Obviously it's not an SUV but does it squat much when it's loaded up?

2: Do RT models sit lower than SXT models stock?

3: If there is any suspension difference between RT and SXT models that would make one better suited to hauling around more weight?

I've tried to look around but most of the questions about what it can haul seem to be about a tow package or just comments about hauling ass.

A dealer nearby has an '05 RT with only 78k on it. The ad doesn't mention that it has any aftermarket suspension work, but it looks like it sits pretty low. It does have aftermarket wheels on it, so that might be adding a bit to the illusion. It looks great in black with the badges removed, but at $10k it's right at or just above the maximum he's looking to spend.

Another dealer has an '05 SXT with 152k on it for $6k. He likes that it is cheaper, but I'm pushing him towards an RT as when loaded full of books and stuff on a trip I'm betting the V6 would have to work a fair bit harder than the V8. It looks like it sits a bit taller than the RT, but it does have stock wheels on it.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 04:54 AM

67F100 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanza View Post
Hello everyone. My father is looking into getting a car and has been leaning towards a Ford Five Hundred (yuk) but I've been trying to point him towards looking at a Magnum, but I have a few questions about them, mostly about hauling things in them as I can't seem to find much about that.

I also would like to know. I am thinking of loading up the family and driving from San Antonio, Texas to Orlando, FL. I think we would have it pretty
heavy with the five of us and our luggage...

I am getting the 2007 SXT.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanza View Post
1: Does anyone use theirs for moving more than just people? Obviously it's not an SUV but does it squat much when it's loaded up?

2: Do RT models sit lower than SXT models stock?

3: If there is any suspension difference between RT and SXT models that would make one better suited to hauling around more weight?

I've tried to look around but most of the questions about what it can haul seem to be about a tow package or just comments about hauling ass.

A dealer nearby has an '05 RT with only 78k on it. The ad doesn't mention that it has any aftermarket suspension work, but it looks like it sits pretty low. It does have aftermarket wheels on it, so that might be adding a bit to the illusion. It looks great in black with the badges removed, but at $10k it's right at or just above the maximum he's looking to spend.

Another dealer has an '05 SXT with 152k on it for $6k. He likes that it is cheaper, but I'm pushing him towards an RT as when loaded full of books and stuff on a trip I'm betting the V6 would have to work a fair bit harder than the V8. It looks like it sits a bit taller than the RT, but it does have stock wheels on it.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
1. Yep, though it helps to have the Nivomats (self leveling shocks)
2. Stock R/T's usually sit at about the same height, maybe a tad lower. R/T should have slightly higher spring rates to account for the heavier engine up front.
3. R/T if it has the Nivomats, as I recall the SXT's didn't come with those, plus 390ft/lbs hauls stuff easier.
If it isn't something I absolutely need my truck for I generally use the wagon. The R/T you're looking at may have had SRT bits added, the stock SRT springs/shocks lower it about an inch; it's what I did to mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG3046.jpg (162.6 KB, 1 views)
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2020, 05:56 PM

QuickdrawSRT is on a distinguished road

I haul large tubs (3 fit perfectly with seats down) of formed acrylic motorcycle windshields a few times a year with my SRT. No issues. I've also loaded it full computer recyclables or building materials. It thinks it's a truck.
x (x)

#ir-ext-ui { position: fixed; padding: 1px; z-index: 9999; display: none; font-family: Consolas, "Lucida Console", "Courier New", Courier, monospace; text-align: right; }
Advertisement