High HP build - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Custom Dodge Magnum Performance and Mods Zone - Custom Dodge Magnum Mods! > Dodge Magnum Performance Mods Engine - R/T

Notices

Old 07-27-2020, 08:59 AM

TobyVanHorn is on a distinguished road
Default High HP build

I am getting an itch to build a fast high HP build and struggling to figure out what to work with. I would like to run a supercharger / E85 type set up and see whipple has kits for 2011 and newer Hemi's but nothing older.

My question is I have seen several good builder options for around a 2005 Magnum R/T but not sure my restrictions. I have always thought it would be cool to have like a 600 - 800 HP magnum - not sure what you guys think, natrually asperated? Supercharged? Are the HELLCAT complete engines a possibility to swap ect?

Iterested to see what you guys think.
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Very possible. So a Hellcat belongs to the newer VVT engine family (eagle 5.7, apache 392, truck 6.4 & all 6.2 derivatives) and the electronics in any year Magnum can't run them without extensive elex mod or locking the phaser and swapping the crank tone ring, which pretty much negates the advantages of VVT except where you're building a monster lol. So yes, you could swap a Hellcat in, but then you need a trans to handle it, which means adapting an 8HP90 (also possible) or getting an aftermarket built NAG1 (like say a Paramount or some such). Any engine you choose once you start getting to the 600hp mark you'll want/need a beefier trans. Same for the rear. A brake upgrade would also definitely be in order, as would suspension.

A 6.1 (or 6.1 based stroker), or even an early 5.7 based stroker can make you some power if built properly and is a drop in. It makes it easier when you stay within the engine family designed for the vehicle, for example the VVT engines have a different accessory drive than the earlier ones because the crank snout sticks out further to accommodate the bigger front cover that houses the VVT.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:19 PM

TobyVanHorn is on a distinguished road

Makes sense - I was thinking best to stay with the same generation.

With that said is there any recomendations on a build? Is there a CA legal supercharger for the earlier generation.

I see Whipple has 2011 and newer with CARB exemption but nothing on the older ones
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 09:55 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Ooooh, you're in Commiefornia? Problem there is "high HP" and "CARB legal" don't go together. So there are alot of them that have an EO number, but there aren't quite as many for the older vehicles. Like forget Procharger. Other thing is, without deviating from the the stipulations of the EO, you're only gonna get about a 100hp boost on a pre-eagle 5.7. Google: https://www.google.com/search?client...i+supercharger
Old 08-20-2020, 06:58 PM

GeoffM is on a distinguished road

You need to to get to know Junkyard Dave he'll inspire you to do crazy things like Chargnum's and crazy shit like that trust me both my 05 RT AWD and 08 RT AWD are looking toasty in my mind's eye

https://youtu.be/ZKqoBFI_R44
Old 09-20-2020, 01:45 PM

oldstyle45 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2005 rt ,used the predator 93 tune. Works great . I did all my mods in 2010 and still perfect I installed an Eibach lowering kit , used a 2008 challenger lsd rear with 3.73 gears from razors edge . rebuilt the trans with Mercedes blue top selnoids and borge warner clutches and steels . Every thing still works great and I have 187000 miles on the magnum .using the overdrive figures to 3.08 gears and I average 23 mpg on the road at 80 miles per hour and 14 in town.
Advertisement