Trying to sell the wife on a Magnum, but I have some questions - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Dodge Magnum Discussion > Dodge Magnum General Discussion

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 AM

larryhagmansliver is on a distinguished road
Default Trying to sell the wife on a Magnum, but I have some questions

My wife drives a 2006 Malibu Max. She likes the hatchback versatility, but I don't really like the car and it's getting up there in miles. I was thinking a great compromise would be a Dodge Magnum since it's a car that would give her what she's looking for, but I would enjoy as well. I have a few questions though if you current Magnum owners wouldn't mind helping me out....
  1. Towing - I've seen the 3,250 pound number out there "when properly equipped", but when I use the calculator on Dodge.com, it seems like every possible combination still comes out as a 2,000 pound towing capacity limit. I would need the car to pull 2,700. What does "properly equipped" mean? What should I be looking for in used Magnum options that would get me there? Is it possible to airbag the rear suspension to help things out?
  2. Winter driving - as far as the RWD models go, how do they do really? I've heard some decent things actually. I used to drive a '77 Grand Prix in Cleveland winter, so I know I can handle it but I'm concerned about my wife.
  3. MDS and Hemi - which model years had the MDS? Do you need to run 89 octane in the Hemi?
  4. Did they make a flex fuel model in any of the available engine sizes?
  5. Fuel economy - how bad is it? Her Malibu averages 26mpg overall. I really would want a Hemi if I can sell her on it.
  6. Quarter mile - how fast is the Hemi on a dragstrip. Just gotta know for bragging rights.
  7. Interior - Were there any improvements year to year on interiors? Which year has the nicest? The reason I ask is because my 2007 Dakota is the ugliest interior I've ever seen in a car, it's just a sea of cheap looking gray plastic.
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 PM

JarZ is on a distinguished road

1. No idea. No question the HEMI equipped have no problem with that load. Look for one with the Mopar hidden hitch (or Towing package)
2. No issue. My R/T is RWD and I drive in snow without any problem. Get some Blizzaks or other good winter tires and you're golden.
3. All model years, 5.7L HEMI ONLY. Yes 89 octane is recommended if the car is not cammed etc
4. No
5. I get 26+ mpg on the highway with the 5.7 and about 23 with the 6.1. In town, around 14 for both. NOTE!!!! The 5.7 and 3.5 get THE SAME mpg on the highway because of MDS on the 5.7. Way more power, same mpg. You have to get the 5.7 but the 3.5 is not a bad engine. DO NOT get the 2.7 - too underpowered for a car this size.
6. High 13s stock for the 5.7. High 12s for the 6.1.
7. 08s got an improved interior over 05-07 models. 08 is the nicest, quality wise, but it looks the same basically. Just small improvement in materials.

Anything else?

PM me if you need more info

Both of mine have been great. In fact, the RT was so great that I bought the SRT8 sight unseen - and it had 84000 when I got it. That's the kind of reliability you can bet on.

The Magnum is THE best mix of looks, power, versatility, style and cost on the road... such a stupid decision to cancel it.

Jacob
2006 Magnum SRT-8. Some mods - more to come.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

NOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the rough

^^^ Couldn't have said it any better than that! ^^^

Talking from experience we have 4 Hemi 5.7L, one SRT 6.1L and one SXT 3.5L. Strangest thing I have seen is they all get about the same mileage driving normally; of course when playing the gas mileage suffers as it should. Now our SXT and the 5.7L both require 89 octane, so do yourself a favor and get a HEMI if possible, not only a better engine, suspension, interior etc are nicer!

Oh..... and YOU can tell your WIFE that my wife found US the first magnum for ME and it was the SRT; then she wanted ONE, so we got the SXT, then we found her a HEMI, and me another HEMI and met two guys with Hemi Magnums that were both selling and both THOSE TOO ~ Now we have six; wife has THREE and I have THREE! And we wouldn't get rid of any of them! They are all too much FUN!

First questions EVERYONE ASKS US.....

"How do you decide on which ONE to drive?"

Simple answer: "WHICH EVER ONE HAS GAS"! ~LOL~

In fact we almost always drive TWO; her in ONE and me in ONE.... even just to get Groceries! In fact we are taking TWO of 'em out for a little cruise in just a few minutes! We just cruise around ~ we carry FM radios and when ONE of US wants to stop somewhere we just hit each other up...

YUP ~ WE BOTH ARE CAR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 LX FAMILY; 7 300's, 6 magnums & 2 chargers]

Last edited by NOTPAID4; 07-10-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement