anti-freeze smell inside car - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Dodge Magnum Discussion > Dodge Magnum General Discussion

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Dave P is on a distinguished road
Default anti-freeze smell inside car

Hi, I'm new here and apologize if this is not the right place for this post. I did a smiliar post in the "looking to buy a magnum" section but haven't had any responses so thought i'd try here .

I'm looking to buy a Magnum AWD and have test driven 2 in the last couple of weeks. One was a 06 SXT AWD w/70k miles and the other was a 05 R/T AWD w/110k miles. Both cars had a very noticable anti-freeze smell (like ethelyne glycol) inside when driving.

I've been studying Magnums for a couple of months ('cause I realy want one badly) to try and learn what to watch out for when looking at used ones and I have not heard of heater core/control valve problems (or whatever is causing the smell, could be just hoses I guess) - is this a common problem and if so, how expensive is it to deal with. I walked away from both because I figured it probably meant tearing the dash and interior apart and probably is a major PITA/expensive.

Any advice/histories to share?

Seems odd to me that 2 out of 2 test drives had the same problem but I'm hoping it could be just a fluke...

Thanks,
Dave
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

newred2007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Hi, I'm new here and apologize if this is not the right place for this post. I did a smiliar post in the "looking to buy a magnum" section but haven't had any responses so thought i'd try here .

I'm looking to buy a Magnum AWD and have test driven 2 in the last couple of weeks. One was a 06 SXT AWD w/70k miles and the other was a 05 R/T AWD w/110k miles. Both cars had a very noticable anti-freeze smell (like ethelyne glycol) inside when driving.

I've been studying Magnums for a couple of months ('cause I realy want one badly) to try and learn what to watch out for when looking at used ones and I have not heard of heater core/control valve problems (or whatever is causing the smell, could be just hoses I guess) - is this a common problem and if so, how expensive is it to deal with. I walked away from both because I figured it probably meant tearing the dash and interior apart and probably is a major PITA/expensive.

Any advice/histories to share?

Seems odd to me that 2 out of 2 test drives had the same problem but I'm hoping it could be just a fluke...

Thanks,
Dave

I googled "dodge magnum anti-freeze smell", lots of info. came up.
Advertisement