2005 SXT front end noise and tire wear - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Custom Dodge Magnum Performance and Mods Zone - Custom Dodge Magnum Mods! > Dodge Magnum Custom Chassis - Suspension

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Long and Blue is on a distinguished road
Default 2005 SXT front end noise and tire wear

My 05 went through a new set of tires in no time, especially the rear ones. They wore of the insides. Went to Big O and found the tire rod ends were bad causing the loud bumping noise up front. Once that was fixed, they checked the front and rear alignment. The front wasn't too bad but the rear was really bad. The tech said they aligned the rear as best it would go BUT still wasn't even close to being correct. He said that Dodge set these cars up that way...not enough adjustment in the rear alignment. He told me that I would need to buy a "kit" to to allow for more adjustment in the rear camber. The rear tires are actually leaned in at the top.
Has anyone had to deal with this kit for the rear adjustment and did it help?
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

newred2007 is on a distinguished road

Too bad your not getting any feedback on this, I would be very interested in
learning something about the rear end problem, I have not heard of this before,
I've only had my 07 about 2 months now, and have had front end work done on it,
I accept that because it's now fixed, I dont have any problems with back end (that I know of), I will look out for any news on rear end stuff.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Default newred07

Thanks for the reply...I also thought there would be more interest in the question posed but I was told by the Big O tire guy that one of their mechanics also had owned a Magnum and he too had a tie rod end problems like mine. He also told me that even after relacing the tie rod ends with new, it didn't take long before he went through two more sets. Some sort of suspension design problem with these cars, front and rear.

Now to the rear wheels, mine were leaned in at the top and pointed inward. Kind of pigeon toed (Camber and Caster I believe.) I think the pointing inward was adjusted out BUT the pointing inward couldn't be corrected all the way because Dodge built in this situation in case you hauled something heavy in the rear cargo area. With that extra weight, it was cause the rear to squat...thus making the tires straight up and down (normal I think) but who in the hell would be hauling heavy stuff in such a car all the time?

Anyway, after the front and rear alignment was done, he told me that there was a kit made to put in the rear the would allow the tires to be adjusted correctly. In less than one year, my rear tires wore out on the inside edges of the tires and had excessive wear all the way out to the outside of the tires.

I sure wish someone would respond to the question about this kit for the rear suspension and how they corrected the problem and if the kit worked.

Keep in mind that my car is a 2005. Maybe this got corrected at the factory for the later models I don't know.
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM

I had front left ball joint replaced in my car,actually my mechanic owns a chrysler
300 and had to do his also, he didn't replace with stock parts, he used a better quality product, if thats the only weak point in the car I will accept it, the rear
in your car sounds like an exception, I have only heard of front end problems before,
I googled your 2005 and it only mentioned front end suspension problems.
Maybe if you contacted chrysler they would know of this kit, but then they would have to admit theres a problem?. Good luck
Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 AM

NOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the rough

I have read of others that DID have to buy a kit for the back but it's not that common I believe. Forget what the kit is called but this IS TRUE, if yours is way out. Found out on one of mine it's NOT perfect either but not really getting any bad tire wear on any of our SIX MAGNUMS. I have had the front rebuilt on our two every day drivers though.

15 LX FAMILY; 7 300's, 6 magnums & 2 chargers]
Old 04-13-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the posts guys. I think I will try to contact Chrysler by e-mail but does anyone know just who and how to contact someone there? I will do some checking and will post their reply if I get one.

Thanks Again,
RICK
Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Default Responce From Chrysler

I sent an e-mail asking for some help with this alignment thing and of course I got the usual...your car is out of factory warranty..... we can't help you.

I requested they forward the e-mail to a Dodge engineer to see what he says but have not heard anything back and seriously doubt that I will.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long and Blue View Post
I sent an e-mail asking for some help with this alignment thing and of course I got the usual...your car is out of factory warranty..... we can't help you.

I requested they forward the e-mail to a Dodge engineer to see what he says but have not heard anything back and seriously doubt that I will.
I agree, you will never hear back from chrysler, even to acknowledge your email ( the way they think) would possibly be admitting that there is a problem, an interesting example was when Michael Moore went right to chrysler head offices and confronted the "top management" about the problem with the transmissions throwing bolts through the housing with their vans , which was a common problem,they wouldn't admit it.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM

GBrooks is on a distinguished road
Default Front end noise II

What is that clunking sound, almost sounds like a shield or inner fender? Replaced both outer tierods...still there Now I have a rattle when I hit the brakes, I believe that is the caliper bushings. Does anyone recommend a performace front end for a Magnum? I have delt with the clunking for over 150,000 miles nothing has fell off yet. I have 211,000 miles and I really think I can make 300,000 easy. I have never changed the plugs either.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 PM

Magnum Dre is on a distinguished road

I have a 05 SXT myself. I don't have any problems with the rear end or noise but I do have a vey aggravating and annoying vibration that seems to come and go at times. When I had the rotors replaced, I asked his to chek the tie rods and he said they were ok. Said he didn't find any tire play when he shook the tires so I'm still lost. I have been read anything I can about the front end and that's what most people said they replaced to stop it. Maybe I should take it somewhere else, if anyone else know what might be the problem, I would love to hear from you, Thanks in advance.
Advertisement