Options question for what includes the 3.5L - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - News Desk > Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 PM

2wheel is on a distinguished road
Default Options question for what includes the 3.5L

I am hoping to buy a Magnum in a few months. However I am getting confused by the many adds I see. I want the 2WD with the 3.5L engine and it seemed that I need to look for the SXT to get the 3.5L. However, in many adds I see "Base" and "SE". These sometimes include mention of the 3.5L engine. So I'm a bit confused.

What are the different models of the Magnum then?
If it is badged (SE, SXT, ...) a certain way what differences are there?
I see 3.5L badge on the side of the wagon in some pictures. If it doesn't have this badge, am I correct to assume the Magnum does not have the 3.5L?
How can I positively identify the 3.5L from the 2.7L?
Is the 5 speed NAG1 available on the 3.5L V6 or only the V8? Sounds like it is worth looking for.
The 3.5L is claimed at 28MPG Highway. Is that realistic?

Thanks for clarifying my confusion.

BTW: Hello! First post is complete.

Last edited by 2wheel; 04-04-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: more questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 PM

I have answered a few questions through the various pictures I have seen. The engine is clearly marked under the hood. Just need a pic to verify. As for the 5 speed transmission it seems it can be identified by the auto-stick shifter. Is that right?

Does anyone have the 3.5L with the 5 speed? Can you give me a mpg?

Still confused about the 3.5L badge though.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

MrPhilH is on a distinguished road

Not 100% sure (I have a Hemi), but I think the 3.5 is the same no matter what. You can get a NAG1 with the 3.5, as I know a guy with a 3.5. Not entirely sure on the fuel mileage, but I get up to 26 mpg with my Hemi. I wouldn't dismiss it just on mpg. If you keep it tuned up, and keep your right foot in check, the mileage is good in my opinion. Plus, they have so much more umph than the V6. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 PM

hydrex is on a distinguished road

While the 3.5 is a stout motor, a hemi will get about the same milage. I've gotten 26.6 mpg highway, average 20 winter, 22-24 summer as a rule. My hemi has 285,000 miles, trouble free too. If you drive a hemi like a lunatic, it will get horrible mpg, but once you learn how to use mds/4 cyl mode, hemi will surprise you.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the info. Mileage is a big thing for me though. My Aztek was rated 18/22 and I could get 26 on the highway taking it easy. In town I could get about 24(talking timing the lights and light hyper-mileing). So I am hoping to brake into the low 30s if the 3.5L is truly rated for 28 on the highway. Time will tell. I need to find one first.

Keep the details coming. <drool> Thanks.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 PM

NCSXT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheel View Post
Thanks for the info. Mileage is a big thing for me though. My Aztek was rated 18/22 and I could get 26 on the highway taking it easy. In town I could get about 24(talking timing the lights and light hyper-mileing). So I am hoping to brake into the low 30s if the 3.5L is truly rated for 28 on the highway. Time will tell. I need to find one first.

Keep the details coming. <drool> Thanks.
You will never get 30 with the 3.5L I will sometimes get 26-27 on freeway with my 3.5L (4 speed). City mileage sucks 17-18. If I had a do over I would have gotten the 5.7L 5 speed. Remember the 5.7 has the MDS that help mileage to great degree. Also don't forget these are 4000 lbs plus cars, so a smaller motor will have to work a bit harder.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM

Talking

Thanks for the help all.

I am pleased to announce that I am now the owner of a slate gray 2008 SXT with the 3.5L and 4 speed trans and 54000 miles. It is loaded. 6 disk CD changer, moon roof, roof rack, new tires, engine block heater (I'm in MI so that will be used). 4 year full coverage warranty too. Unfortunately the dealer had to fix a few things before I could drive it home. Should have it Monday or Tuesday.

I opted for this partly due to how loaded it was and that the 2008s got the tire pressure monitoring system. I'm big on safety. I love the 5 star crash rating too. I found the specs for the Magnum launch http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/...ionsLaunch.pdf and saw that the 4 speed has i higher final gear ratio (0.69) vs the 5 speed at (0.83). So I am hoping the 4 speed can get the better mileage between the 2 transmissions since the engine will be running at a lower RPM at cruise. I will not have as good of acceleration though. Meh. That is OK with me.

I noticed that the pictures on the dealer's web site show the car plain. When I looked at the wagon it now has pin striping. I don't like pin striping. Anyone have any ideas on how I could safely remove it? It has to be only a week old. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 PM

NCSXT will become famous soon enough

New pin striping will come off easy. Just get a thumb nail under it and pull. If its older then put a little heat to it with a hair drier.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:54 AM

NOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the rough

Glad you finally found a magnum. I have 4 05 hemi's and ALL get better mileage than my 3.5L and YOU should know the 3.5 L requires 89 OCTANE SAME AS THE HEMIS. Check your owners manual.

15 LX FAMILY; 7 300's, 6 magnums & 2 chargers]
Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 AM

Exclamation

On the Mid grade fuel: I looked at the manual yesterday. It actually says
Quote:
The 3.5L & 5.7L engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum performance.
So 89 doesn't seem to be required but recommended. On the other hand it says:
Quote:
The use of premium gasoline is not recommended. Under normal conditions, the use of premium gasoline will not provide a benefit over high quality regular and mid-grade gasolines, and in some circumstances may result in poorer performance.
I was just going to go to Costco and use premium (it is the same price there as 89 octane). Now I am not so sure if that is a good idea.

Anyone use premium all the time without a computer flash for premium fuel (91 octane)? Have you noticed issues? Thanks.
Advertisement