Heater fail - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Magnum Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Magnum Electrical Problems and Questions

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 PM

crusade is on a distinguished road
Default Climate control fail

I have a problem with my climate control console. Since a few years back the LEDs go out one by one. I was planning to replace them with new ones but another problem stole my attention.

The heating comes and goes, mostly goes. It starts to become a problem since winter is comming to Sweden (where I live). I realize that some of the LEDs are flickering but dont know the source to this problem.

Since it comes and goes and it seems to me that there is a bad harness/relay/fuse/resistor or something. Does anyone recognise this problem and can share some light on it for me?

Last edited by crusade; 11-19-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Is it not working at all or just the lights burning out? If it's just the lights, that's a known problem on these cars, the weak little LED's are soldered to the circuit board inside. Either replace the whole thing or crack it open, unsolder the old ones and solder in new ones. If the module is misbehaving/not working, then you need to replace it.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:33 AM

The LEDs will be replaced, but why are some flickering -is that just a sign that it is about to die or is there some other problem with the circuitboard?

The greater issue here is the heat, not the LEDs. The heat comes and goes, and I dont know why. Could it just be a bad connection (and thats why the LEDs are flickering) but then where would I start to search for the fault?
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusade View Post
The LEDs will be replaced, but why are some flickering -is that just a sign that it is about to die or is there some other problem with the circuitboard?

The greater issue here is the heat, not the LEDs. The heat comes and goes, and I dont know why. Could it just be a bad connection (and thats why the LEDs are flickering) but then where would I start to search for the fault?

Sometimes those circuit boards just go bad. If you can, get your hands on a known good one and swap it, see if that solves your problem. Then at least you'll know if it's the module or not and whether or not to waste time cracking it open and soldering new lights in.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:00 PM

Magnasport is on a distinguished road

The original heater control pwb uses 6 volt bulbs not leds,
The way I fixed mine is I ordered prewired 3mm 6 v leds from ebay for about 2 dollars.
Solder the wires where the bulbs were and glue the leds to the clear light spreader(sorry I don't know the right name for that part) but when you open it up you'll know what I'm talking about, anyway be sure you get pos & neg correct and your done. This fix has lasted me for years now.
BTW; The filament in the original bulb will shake making the lights to come on and off, the control board is probably good.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:21 AM

Thanks. I saw a video on Youtube of a guy making the mod you are talking about. My greatest issue isnt the bulbs though. Its the heating that comes and goes. I only mentioned the lights because the problems might be connected.

Does anyone know where to buy a new circuitboard...if that should be the problem?
Old 11-25-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusade View Post
Thanks. I saw a video on Youtube of a guy making the mod you are talking about. My greatest issue isnt the bulbs though. Its the heating that comes and goes. I only mentioned the lights because the problems might be connected.

Does anyone know where to buy a new circuitboard...if that should be the problem?

Can't buy the board separately, all or nothing. If used, eBay is probably your best bet. New, does Rockauto deliver to Sweden? https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wv...h+/+panel,4212
Old 11-27-2018, 02:43 PM

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I found the problem. I have a crack in the radiator and I lost alot of water. So the issue wasnt electrical. I still have to solder new bulbs to the climate control circuit board clear the light problem.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:14 PM

Magnasport is on a distinguished road

Try the nearest "U pull it" parts or recycling place (junkyard).
I have found some amazingly good prices on parts, also a great place to find any of those little trim items and missing screws. like having doner cars for anything and everything.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:42 PM

Unfortunatelly there isnt many Magnums, 300Cs or Chargers on the Junkyards in Sweden. I understand parts are much easier to come by in USA. There is alot of cheap parts on ebay but unfortunatelly the delivery here is chockingly expensive.
Advertisement