Thermostat Issues :( - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Custom Dodge Magnum Performance and Mods Zone - Custom Dodge Magnum Mods! > Dodge Magnum Performance Mods Engine - SXT

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM

BenBorys is on a distinguished road
Default Thermostat Issues :(

Hey everybody.

Had my car for about 4 months and the wonderful engine light has appeared for the second time. (I fixed it the first time)

I got it diagnosed at auto zone and it looks to be a defective thermostat.

Im considering these options: (1) $88 for labor and $15 for the thermostat and just get it replaced. (2) Buy the $15 thermostat and gasket and do it myself. (3) Or go to Chrysler and get a better diagnostic for $80-$100.

What do you think...or what has your experience been with this issue?

Thanks a ton!!!
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Administrator

jkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nice

If it was me I would just do it myself. Also, be sure to use the correct antifreeze. I think you'll find it to be HOAT type (Zerez G-05), which is about $15 a gallon. You may want to also post up the codes that have shown up as well as your vehicle details. I know on my Challenger, I put in a 180 thermostat. If I don't let it warm up in cold weather, it may throw a code for coolant temp too low.
Check in
Here!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 PM

BenBorys is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the quick response. As far the as the anti-freeze, I bought some pretty basic stuff from Auto Zone and topped it up last time the check engine light came on. This is what I got... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1566383

The diagnostic said "coolant temp is always low." He said he would sell me a factory 180 degree t-stat. I also live in Arizona so the temps are different here...always hot.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Im interested in doing it myself and learning a thing or two but i'd need some pointed before I got started.

Thanks!!
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

NOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the roughNOTPAID4 is a jewel in the rough

Most of US on here are NOT mechanics but this should be an easy job. I don't like messing with much mechanicals on mine either unless I'm pretty sure I won't run into any problems. I have just changed the plugs in TWO of our magnums, along with Taylor shorty wires (they are 05 Hemis), and cleaned the throttle body and added Cold Air Intakes to both. And... all are running FANTASTIC. Last couple of trips I've made around town was seeing about 20MPG ~ Not bad for a HEMI. I have NOT changed the thermostat in any of our SIX magnums yet.

15 LX FAMILY; 7 300's, 6 magnums & 2 chargers]
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM

madigan is on a distinguished road

My 2007 3.5 magnum idiot light is lit up also. the dodge garage tells me it's the thermostat. do you know where the t-stat is, I can't find a service manual that would help me. I'd like to do the repair myself.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Administrator

jkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBorys View Post
Hey thanks for the quick response. As far the as the anti-freeze, I bought some pretty basic stuff from Auto Zone and topped it up last time the check engine light came on. This is what I got... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1566383

The diagnostic said "coolant temp is always low." He said he would sell me a factory 180 degree t-stat. I also live in Arizona so the temps are different here...always hot.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Im interested in doing it myself and learning a thing or two but i'd need some pointed before I got started.

Thanks!!
I hate to tell you but that antifreeze in not compatible (no matter what the jug says) with the HOAT type. It's my understanding that mixing it will cause corrosion in the coolant system. You may want to consider having the system flushed and the HOAT put back in.
Check in
Here!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 PM

AbodyMopar is on a distinguished road

3.5L ENGINE

Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

1. Disconnect negative battery cable. 2. Raise vehicle on hoist. 3. Remove belly pan.(Refer to 23 - Body/Exterior/BELLY PAN - Removal) 4. Drain cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) . 5. Lower vehicle on hoist. 6. Remove air box asy. (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/BODY, Air Cleaner - Removal) 7. Disconnect lower radiator hose (2) from thermostat housing (1). 8. Remove thermostat housing bolts. 9. Remove thermostat housing (1), thermostat, and gasket.

NOTE: The OEM thermostat is staked in place at the factory. To ensure proper seating of replacement thermostat, carefully remove the bulged metal from the thermostat housing using a suitable hand held grinder. It is not necessary to restake the replacement thermostat into the thermostat housing. 10. Clean gasket surfaces.
That's straight from Chrysler's tech website
Old 05-12-2016, 05:12 PM

Magnumman420 is on a distinguished road

I know it just changed my coolant and am having trouble bleeding the air out of it .... had to buy a break bleeder to install in to the water pump. Still fighting air pockets.
Advertisement