Love my new-to-me car, but hate how she is right now - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Magnum Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Magnum Mechanical Problems and Questions

Notices

Old 04-06-2021, 12:32 AM

Bad_Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Love my new-to-me car, but hate how she is right now

Good early morning from Indiana, land of corn and cows...
I just purchased my first Magnum. I've always wanted one but found my butt firmly planted in Chargers ( I've had 3 now ) just because the Magnums are getting hard to find.
The car itself is gorgeous, and came on 20" Challenger rims with fresh rubber. I really wish I'd had the opportunity to test drive it outside of town. I noticed right off the steering is off-center and a little loose, which the seller had told me about, and even provided the steering shaft part to fix it, he hadn't gotten around to it yet. We did the deal and I was off and running towards home base.
Once I got up to speed (40mph+ ), the vibration started. Almost like a joy-buzzer. I arrived home and inspected the wheels, which I noticed the driver-rear has a little bit of a Detroit lean, but I can't see a way to adjust it. I swapped the Challenger rims for some stock 17" rims and tires, and inspected all the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc, which were all good and solid. No noise in the wheel bearings.
Still have the vibration.
I'm not sure where to look next.
Transmission? CV axle? It doesn't go away with the car in neutral and coasting, either.
Help?
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2021, 02:14 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Check the carrier bearing in the center of the driveshaft.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:07 PM

chief116 is on a distinguished road

Can you feel where the vibration is coming from? Front, rear? I agree about inspecting the center bearing as well.
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Bad_Neko is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help Gentlemen. She's off to the shop to replace the U-joints and carrier bearing in the morning, and get some fresh rubber shoes to boot. I'll post again once that's done and let you know if that solved the issue.
Advertisement