Possible Magnum Engine Swaps or Modification - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Dodge Magnum Discussion > Dodge Magnum General Discussion

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 08:14 PM

moparmuscle is on a distinguished road
Question Possible Magnum Engine Swaps or Modification

I'm looking for another Magnum to go with my 07 R/T.

I have some options and need to know if there are swap parts available and would like some opinions on which way to go.

I have a Keith Black aluminum 540 short block (same as a 440) and will need heads and intake to complete it. Are there mounts, oil pan and headers available to put it in a Magnum? Is it possible to adapt it to the 5 speed or would I need to use a 727?

Or should I just sell the 540 and build a Hemi for it?

I want it to be a nasty street machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 11:49 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmuscle View Post
I'm looking for another Magnum to go with my 07 R/T.

I have some options and need to know if there are swap parts available and would like some opinions on which way to go.

I have a Keith Black aluminum 540 short block (same as a 440) and will need heads and intake to complete it. Are there mounts, oil pan and headers available to put it in a Magnum? Is it possible to adapt it to the 5 speed or would I need to use a 727?

Or should I just sell the 540 and build a Hemi for it?

I want it to be a nasty street machine.
I applaud your 'go big or go home" lol, however I have to ask; did you want the car to still function semi normally? Here's why:
1. Absolutely NOTHING in the way of bolt in or on ANYTHING to put an old RB into a modern LX chassis. That means custom EVERYTHING.
2. Even the first gen LX's are pain in the ass rolling computer networks. Half the car won't function if it doesn't get the inputs it requires.
3. A KB 540 would blow a stock NAG1 apart. Hell it'll blow a stock 727 apart. A trans would need to be built regardless.
4. Honestly for what you could sell the 540 for, you could get a good head start (probably more) on a forged 6.1 based (iron or aluminum) 426 stroker built for boost.
An iron block 426 stroker with P&P Apache (392) heads, a stout but not too wild hydraulic roller cam and a 4bbl will make over 700hp N/A:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp...mi-now-part-1/
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp...mi-now-part-2/
Add enough blower to that mix and you're tickling 1000hp or more. Then comes all the usual other stuff; stiffen the chassis, need bigger brakes, need built trans, need built rear, etc etc.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:27 PM

I was afraid there were no parts to do the swap. The mounts wouldn't be a big problem for me but building headers is beyond my skills. I think a built 6.1 will be the way to go. I did find out that there are parts available to hook a small block 727 or 518 to the Hemi. Aftermarket makes fuel injection and ignition controllers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I was afraid there were no parts to do the swap. The mounts wouldn't be a big problem for me but building headers is beyond my skills. I think a built 6.1 will be the way to go. I did find out that there are parts available to hook a small block 727 or 518 to the Hemi. Aftermarket makes fuel injection and ignition controllers.
Why wouldn't you go with the NAG1 already in it? It's pretty stout stock, add a VB it's a bit stouter and can be built even further. I mean, stock they survive 392's with blowers on them pushing 600hp, so.... It bolts right to the hemi and you won't need a custom driveshaft since the 727 & 518 are set up for slip yokes, which the LX platform doesn't use since the differential is fixed in an independent rear.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:55 AM

Avoiding the computer problems.

An MSD Hemi 6 box to fire the plugs, intake with a carb that I can tune, fairly stout cam, the 518 can be easily made to shift correctly, back half it with a 4-link, 14X33 rear tires, etc.

Holley makes a computer that would control everything but by the time you get all the stuff required to go with it you'd spend several grand just on it.

A couple of my previous cars.

Challenger

Daytona

Last edited by moparmuscle; 06-08-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:11 AM

jpeteyjr is on a distinguished road

My suggestion is to find an '08 SRT.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeteyjr View Post
Would love to find one but I haven't been able to locate one that's not too nice to cut up.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Avoiding the computer problems.

An MSD Hemi 6 box to fire the plugs, intake with a carb that I can tune, fairly stout cam, the 518 can be easily made to shift correctly, back half it with a 4-link, 14X33 rear tires, etc.

Holley makes a computer that would control everything but by the time you get all the stuff required to go with it you'd spend several grand just on it.

A couple of my previous cars.

Challenger

Daytona
Ah, so you don't want a functioning street car at all lol, gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeteyjr View Post
Rare and expensive
Old 06-10-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
Ah, so you don't want a functioning street car at all lol, gotcha

Rare and expensive
I have the Challenger for the street. I want something barely legal to take to the strip occasionally and still make a lap through town once in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement