Repeated suspension wear/replacement - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Custom Dodge Magnum Performance and Mods Zone - Custom Dodge Magnum Mods! > Dodge Magnum Custom Chassis - Suspension

Notices

Old 06-02-2020, 03:52 PM

Jemmell is on a distinguished road
Default Repeated suspension wear/replacement

I just traded my ‘05 RT AWD for a ‘07 SRT8 and loving it (other than the inability to keep my rear wheels on the road now!). In my old RT I ran into repeated issues up front where sway bar links, bushings, ball joints etc. would wear and make going over bumps more noisy than it should be. Typically it would sound and feel a little rough for a while (perhaps after hitting a pothole or something) but my mechanic wouldn’t be able to feel any play in the suspension for another month or so, when the sound and feel would further deteriorate. Later he’d be able to see what I’m talking about and we’d do another replacement. I would replace parts pretty much annually and we had basically concluded it was just a fault in the design of early versions of the platform.

Now I’m running into pretty much the same thing with my “new” SRT8 despite the car being 2 model years newer and without what I would imagine was a squishier RT AWD suspension.

Any thoughts on this? Should I just plan to have to keep regularly replacing suspension components with stock parts? Or should I consider putting beefier links/bushings etc. on and spend a few bucks doing it? I’ve heard rumors from other mechanics/LX enthusiasts that say there pretty much isn’t anything you can do, but I’m curious to know what other magnum owners’ thoughts are.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 10:54 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

HemiLonestar is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you had the original components still in, unfortunately the earlier LX's were known for this; Daimler's way of cutting costs @#%$*&^
Most replacement parts you can get nowadays are better. When I rebuilt the front suspension in my old 06 R/T I specified SRT stuff just to be sure, however, with the exception of the struts and sway bars, the suspensions are identical. You can get the really expensive aftermarket tubular stuff, but you need to ask yourself if it's worth the expense. If you're busting sway bar links, Bwoody makes a nice fat set of links for the LX. Where I work has this horrible road that's cost me two OEM style links. After the Bwoody's went in that didn't happen anymore lol.

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 06-03-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:05 PM

Jemmell is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much for the info! I will definitely keep in mind when my buddy takes a look next. I’ll see what’s going wrong and I might spring for a something of an upgrade based on your recommendations, we’ll see. I actually love the way it currently drives, stiff enough but still comfortable.
Advertisement