Hemi R/T differential - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Custom Dodge Magnum Performance and Mods Zone - Custom Dodge Magnum Mods! > Dodge Magnum Custom Chassis - Suspension

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 06:01 PM

elnomad55 is on a distinguished road
Default Hemi R/T differential

Do the Hemi R/T's come from the factory with a limited slip differential?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 07:17 PM

hydrex is on a distinguished road

No, anti slip is accomplished with the ESP traction/stability control. Computer will apply brakes to the slipping wheel. If you run a custom Diablo tune, you may loose some of the sensitivity. The button on the dash only partially disables the ESP. There are a bunch of expensive upgrades for rear differential if you race, but the stock unit is very stout, good for up to 600 rwhp or so.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM

elnomad55 is on a distinguished road

Thanks hydrex. I guess I didn't fully understand the function of the ESP. I read about it in the owner's manual but wasn't completely clear about it. Does the light go on when you press the button or when the ESP is activated because a spinning wheel? To what extent is it de-activated by pressing the button?

I'm not looking at racing the car, just curious about some of the functions.

Last edited by elnomad55; 12-13-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Forgot text.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 06:05 PM

wallew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
No, anti slip is accomplished with the ESP traction/stability control. Computer will apply brakes to the slipping wheel. If you run a custom Diablo tune, you may loose some of the sensitivity. The button on the dash only partially disables the ESP. There are a bunch of expensive upgrades for rear differential if you race, but the stock unit is very stout, good for up to 600 rwhp or so.

I'm going to have to throw out a warning.

While the differential IS strong, the frame holding it in the car is so weak that DODGE has issued three updates to the frame itself.

MINE was cracked in four places at least with some possible frame structural weakness in two other places. A replacement frame solved the problem.

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS when you buy a used police car.

I hear that the SRT's had some similar problems.

I knew I was having a problem when the diff connector to the drive shaft spit one of the bolts out, as it had cracked in half.

Close inspection revealed four big cracks. Replacement frame (used) has resolved that problem.

Mine is a 2007 SXT with the police package.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:53 AM

hydrex is on a distinguished road

I know a bunch of guys who drag race , including me who have never broken a thing. My car is a high 11 second car with 320,000 miles. Sprayed tons of nitrous, cammed modded motor, MT drag radials and a high stall converter couldn't break it. Sorry your V6 broke, but I know guys with over 700 rwhp that didn't break. I have a friend with a modded hemi Charger police car with 230,000 miles, never broke, so... I think your car was driven by Boss Hog and flogged to death.

Last edited by hydrex; 10-05-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:28 PM

wallew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
I know a bunch of guys who drag race , including me who have never broken a thing. My car is a high 11 second car with 320,000 miles. Sprayed tons of nitrous, cammed modded motor, MT drag radials and a high stall converter couldn't break it. Sorry your V6 broke, but I know guys with over 700 rwhp that didn't break. I have a friend with a modded hemi Charger police car with 230,000 miles, never broke, so... I think your car was driven by Boss Hog and flogged to death.

Actually it's the 5.7 Hemi in the SXT (never assume).

And yeah, my SXT Police Package Magnum can do one thing that none of the other Magnums can do (unless it's a police package like mine). I can literally turn off the ESP. Not disable it, but turn it off. My dash says 'ESP OFF', not disabled, etc. And that's what breaks sub frames when you drop it into gear with the revs buried.

Dodge didn't want to admit that, but that's WHY they 'upgraded' the rear subframe cradle that holds the differential in the car three times over three years. Because the police cars kept breaking their rear subframe cradle.

And the reason you have never broken your rear subframe is because you don't bury the tach and THEN drop it into gear. You are are already in gear as you pull up to the line, with the drive train under load as you rev the engine to it's limit with your foot on the brake.

Not the same stress applied to the driveline that way, compared to revving the engine and then dropping it into gear, which is how cops roll. They sit on the side of the road in neutral and when they 'catch' one on the radar, they hit the lights, punch the gas and slap the gear shift lever into gear, all at the same time (it's on the column in the Police Package) and tear off after 'the bad guy' ie speeder.

Which is how they break the rear subframe. That's the difference. Mine was a supervisors car from the Denton County sheriff's office.

I love this car. It's a fun car that I can get all our dogs in for a run to the vet or to DQ (they love ice cream - who doesn't).
Advertisement