Transmission service - Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum
Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum  

Go Back   Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum > Dodge Magnum Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Magnum Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change - Lubrication - Fluids

Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Magnum Forum Senior Member!

MrPhilH is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission service

Alright, I know that the nag1 is supposed to be a non servicing transmission. But I personally have a hard time buying into the fact that it doesn't require a filter change and fluid replacement. All the other cars I've ever had I've done the recommended fluid services, even flushing of the brakes. So I struggle accepting that it's all good unless there is an issue. Summer is getting short, and I have a week off soon. Really, I'd like to do the service then. I already have a B&M dipstick, so I just need to get the fluid and filter. What are your guys thoughts on servicing these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Administrator

jkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nicejkelly16 is just really nice

I have a 09 Challenger and will have around 50k or so on it when the next service is due. Will have them service the transmission at that time. Just had the differential fluid changed this last time.
Check in
Here!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM

So I just got done with my transmission service. I figured I'd share some of the things that I noticed.
1. I pulled the transmission crossmember out to get to the rear most pan bolts. I used a jackstand to support the rear of the trans and removed it. Seemed like it was the best choice for room to work.
2. My car drained just short of 3.5 quarts. I put that just over 3 in, run it through the gears and checked it. Added just a bit more and got the level back to where it was on my dipstick before the service. I've read online of people putting in 7L and it being way overfilled. My experience would confirm that.
3. Even though my car has 100k miles on it, the pan had very little deposits in it. The magnet had what I considered very minimal amounts of particles. But I will say that my old fluid was a bit more browned that I would have liked. Luckily, it wasn't burnt smelling at all.
I can't say that it was all in all that bad of a job. I would say as long as you are meticulous about what you are doing, all should be smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 01:36 PM

05 inferno rt is on a distinguished road

MrPhil - any chance of a quick write up? I need to service my tranny soon. What fluid did you go with?

Thanks man!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:25 PM

It's been a few weeks, so forgive me if I'm not exactly perfect with my description.
I already had a B&M dipstick. I started the car and check the fluid level. I figured that checking the fluid when cold both before and after would keep the temperature consistent.
So I jacked up just the passenger side and set it on a jack stand. Safety first everybody!
Six bolts hold the pan on. The front 4 are easy to get to. The back 2 are behind the transmission crossmember. I threw a jack stand under the tail shaft of the tranny and evenly loosened the crossmember to body bolts. There are 2 on each side, 15mm I believe. Once they were out, I removed the 2 bolts that bolted it to the transmission mount, 13mm.
Once the crossmember was out of the way, I started onto the pan. Slowly and evenly loosening the six bolts that hold the pan on. I think they were a 25 torx, possibly 27. But the bolts were a pretty good design. They actually bolt down clamps that hold the pan on, not through the pan.
Having the car at a slight angle helped with draining the fluid into the catch pan. I loosened all the bolts, but let the ones on the far side down more so they could drain into my pan. Once it was mostly drained, I took the bolts the rest of the way out while supporting the pan and then tipped out the rest. My drain pan and quart markings on it, so I used it to double check how much came out.
After the pan was out, I cleaned it up thoroughly. Back under the car, I pulled the filter out. No bolts, just a good straight tug. It's held in by an o ring, so make sure it comes out with the old filter. I used a little bit of new atf to lube the new filter, and installed it, making sure to align the plastic tab on the top of the filter with the slot in the valve body.
New gasket on the pan, and back onto the trans. When you reinstall the bolts and lockdowns, make sure they go back into where they were, as some are different than others. Evenly tightened them back up, finally torqueing to 71 in/lbs.....NOT FOOT POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I torqued around the pan in a criss cross pattern several times, just cuz I'm anal about that stuff.
I reinstalled the crossmember with a little bit of antiseize on the bolts to help prevent rust, and out with the jack stands and back on the ground.
I used Valvoline ATF+4. Started with 3 quarts. Started the car, run it through the gears, then back to park and check the level. I slowly added until it was back to my preservice level.
Haven't had any issues since, so I call it good. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement