Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum - View Single Post - Hello fellow Magnum lovers.
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 07:50 PM

moparleo is on a distinguished road
Default valve seats

Just an FYI, Overheating is not a prerequisite for dropped valve seats. I researched different forums for years about the valve seat issue after purchasing a low mileage R/T. I read that it happened most often after the car had been parked and not when driving. Probably a heat sink issue with aluminum heads and steel valve seats not fit tight enough in the heads. I was in the process of shopping for replacement heads that had been upgraded in the seat area so I could avoid any other possible engine damage but I didn't do it fast enough. At 84K miles I had gone to a DR appt just a few miles from my home. October, mid 70's temp. After about 30 minutes after parking I went to the parking lot to go home. Started engine and immediately heard the loud sound of " a metal coffee can full of nuts and bolts " After a tow home I removed the spark plugs to check compression. @ cylinders had the spark plug electrodes mashed shut. No high rpms, no high temperature. Happened while starting engine. In the majority of the cases the cars had not overheated or had a temperature issue at all. Just be prepared for it on any early 5.7 car engine. Since the failure had caused engine block and piston damage a complete engine change as required. I has updated heads, updated oil pump, updated timing chain/gar/tensioner installed. 5w20 Mobil 1 on the original and replacement engine exclusively. Be prepared and start shopping for the heads and/or engine replacement. Fortunately these engines are very popular and plentiful keeping their cost relatively low.