Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum

Dodge Magnum Forum - Modern Mopar Forum (https://www.magnumforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Magnum Performance Mods Engine - SRT8 (https://www.magnumforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Intake Manifold Gasket (https://www.magnumforumz.com/showthread.php?t=4650)

The_Alchemist35 04-23-2020 06:11 PM

Intake Manifold Gasket

Hello everyone,
I am a new member to this forum, and I am new to working on cars in general.
I am driving a 06 SRT8 magnum, and when let the car rev out, i get a sort of nasty smell in the cabin. I do not think it is the catalytic converter, rather a leaking/cracked intake manifold gasket. I would like to replace them, but do not feel confident in the other online resources.
I was hoping I could get some guidance from this forum.

thank you,
The_Alchemist35

jkelly16 04-24-2020 08:47 AM

I've not pulled a 6.1 intake but I believe it does not have a gasket, it's individual rubber rings that go around each port on the intake. Also if your intake was leaking you'd probably be having misfire/idle issues.

The other thing is unleaded gas is going to cause a rotten egg smell when you get on it, that's normal.

HemiLonestar 04-24-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkelly16 (Post 18920)
I've not pulled a 6.1 intake but I believe it does not have a gasket, it's individual rubber rings that go around each port on the intake. Also if your intake was leaking you'd probably be having misfire/idle issues.

The other thing is unleaded gas is going to cause a rotten egg smell when you get on it, that's normal.

The 6.1 is the only hemi that actually uses a gasket; the plastic intakes use the o-rings you mentioned:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-rhkj...=2&imbypass=on

The_Alchemist35 04-24-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkelly16 (Post 18920)

For sure.
It idles pretty well considering mileage, and it misses sometimes when your first turn it over in the morning... could be the ignition coil but it doesn't crank long, so im doubtful.

there is black dust around the intake manifold connection points, so i suspected a small leak, but i do not really know...

moparleo 04-30-2020 09:03 PM

Before you start "fixing your car" you need to know what is wrong and if you are equipped to do the repair. Proper tools, repair information, service manual and someone who is experienced in engine repair to help you. Do some reading up on the type of engine in your car. It does not have "a" coil, it has 8 coils. One for each cylinder. Take your car to a garage with at least an ASE certified tune/engine rated tech. Pay the diagnostic fee, in California about $150. and then decide on what to do. You can't fix your car until you know what is wrong with it. The SRT is a high performance package and has a lot of things that are unique to that package. Suspension, brakes, electronics, gauges engine package ...

The_Alchemist35 05-01-2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparleo (Post 18938)
Before you start "fixing your car" you need to know what is wrong and if you are equipped to do the repair. Proper tools, repair information, service manual and someone who is experienced in engine repair to help you. Do some reading up on the type of engine in your car. It does not have "a" coil, it has 8 coils. One for each cylinder. Take your car to a garage with at least an ASE certified tune/engine rated tech. Pay the diagnostic fee, in California about $150. and then decide on what to do. You can't fix your car until you know what is wrong with it. The SRT is a high performance package and has a lot of things that are unique to that package. Suspension, brakes, electronics, gauges engine package ...

Thank you for the feedback.
And just a heads up, while the 6.1s do have 8 coil packs, there are two spark plugs per cylinder. So technically there are 16 coils total, one for each spark plug.

moparleo 05-01-2020 02:27 AM

Try to buy a separate coil for each plug. Only 1 per cylinder as I said.

HemiLonestar 05-01-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Alchemist35 (Post 18940)
Thank you for the feedback.
And just a heads up, while the 6.1s do have 8 coil packs, there are two spark plugs per cylinder. So technically there are 16 coils total, one for each spark plug.

No. It may fire two plugs, but it is a single coil pack. Eight coils.

moparleo 05-01-2020 12:47 PM

The original point is that you need to have the "problem" properly diagnosed. Or you can just spend money trowing parts at it until you fix it by accident, run out of money or try getting someone who is experienced in that field to help you. Also education is key to all.
In order to diagnose any problem with any device . you have to know how and why something works. Some people just want someone to tell them the answers. Some people have to be the ones to figure out what the answers are. Be the second guy. Don't guess, know. Read and listen and think.

The_Alchemist35 05-01-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparleo (Post 18950)
The original point is that you need to have the "problem" properly diagnosed. Or you can just spend money trowing parts at it until you fix it by accident, run out of money or try getting someone who is experienced in that field to help you. Also education is key to all.
In order to diagnose any problem with any device . you have to know how and why something works. Some people just want someone to tell them the answers. Some people have to be the ones to figure out what the answers are. Be the second guy. Don't guess, know. Read and listen and think.

Totally agree.
thanks again.